Monday, March 29, 2010

I Think I'm Going to Need a Bigger Suitcase.

Have you ever been loyal to one brand your entire life? I have. I'm a loyal user and abuser of Crest toothpaste. I say abuser because I have to put extra toothpaste on my brush to allow for half to get knocked off when I wet it.
For as long as I can remember I have been a Crest user. Yes, I've tried samples of other brands that you get from the dentist. Colgate, Ultra Brite, Aim, but they never had the same yummy wintergreen flavor that Crest had. As a child I even remember getting a tube of Aquafresh, once. It tasted okay, but I was more intrigued with getting the big S-shaped, two-toned toothpaste swirl they always had on their commercials. My mother probably wondered how or why I went through one tube so fast. Those swirls... impossible to make, btw. After failing at that, I immediately went back to Crest.
No... I'm not writing this to plug my favorite oral hygiene product. I'm trying to make a point. I'm usually open to trying new products, but there are just some that I like AND I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE. So, with the upcoming move, I've compiled a list of products that I have started stockpiling to take with us. Things that I'm afraid I won't be able to find in the UK.
After we've been there awhile, I plan on revisiting this list to let you know what is available in the UK, what I should have brought, what I should have just left at home.



Just know that if I run out of something, I plan on hitting one of you up. So, save a little room in your suitcase.


-Crest toothpaste, whitening fresh mint gel
-Hair Gel, Ouidad Humidity Styling Gel
- Mont-ro Skin Care products
-Desert Essence Lip Rescue
-Trident Layers Gum... Strawberry/Orange (just enough to get me through the pregnancy)
-Peanut Butter, smooth (not that I eat this often... but, often enough that I should have a jar on hand)
-Ice Tray(s)
-Dental Floss, Johnson & Johnson Cleanbursts, Icy Spearmint
-Diaper Genie Refills (got a pretty good start on that)
-Lakme, K Therapy Repair Shampoo and Conditioner
-Mach 3 razor blades... for Scott.
-Women's Hygiene products... which, I'll spare you on. However, you girls know what I'm talking about. You find something you like, you stick with it.
-1 can of pumpkin puree, in case we are there during Thanksgiving. I must have a pumpkin pie.



If I didn't list it, it doesn't mean I don't use it. It just means I'm not attached to one particular brand or flavor, so I should find something over there. Luckily, the make-up I wear is made in the UK. Does that mean it's sold there? Well, I'm kind of counting on that... guess I should check, huh?

Oh... anyone think they could squeeze an entire Target store into their bag??? I'm already having withdrawals. All of the transplants say it's the one store they miss.

One last thing. If you are coming to visit and it is close to Girl Scout Cookie time, you are required to bring at least one box of Samoas.

7 comments:

  1. Angela, I know what you mean, but let me suggest a different approach, one I learned from reading Rick Steves' packing tips for a trip to Europe. Different that moving, certainly, but it could pertain. To quote from his tips:

    "Don't pack for the worst scenario. Pack for the best scenario and simply buy yourself out of any jams. Risk shivering for a day rather than taking a heavy coat. Think in terms of what you can do without — not what will be handy on your trip. When in doubt, leave it out. I've seen people pack a whole summer's supply of deodorant or razors, thinking they can't get them there. The world's getting really small; you can buy Dial soap, Colgate toothpaste, Nivea cream, and Gillette razors in Sicily or Slovakia. Tourist shops in major international hotels are a sure bet whenever you have difficulty finding a personal item. If you can't find one of your essentials, ask yourself how more than 500 million Europeans can live without it."

    They have some of the best beauty products in Europe, as well as the UK. Be adventurous!

    But do take the pumpkin puree! And I'm with you on the womens hygiene products, too.

    Jo (MiniJJ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jo. Actually, I thought my list was kind of short, though. I know space will be an issue, so most things I've decided to take are fairly small in size.
    I'm fairly certain that the hair products I use are available there, but I am taking the jumbo salon size to get me started. ;)

    As mentioned, I do plan to revisit my list and see what I was being so trivial about or if there was something else I should have focused on.

    I need a few things to comfort me. ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you wet your toothbrush after you put the toothpaste on it? that's weird. do you stand up to wipe too? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut your hole, Caine. Yes, I wet my toothpaste, that's the NORMAL thing to do! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANY kitchen trash bag fits in the diaper genie, you DO NOT need the ones they sell for it! One less thing to pack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marian! I did not know that!! Okay, so that's one thing scratched off my list!

    ReplyDelete