Thursday, March 18, 2010

Is This Thing On??

I never thought I would be one to blog, but I guess since everyone else is doing it, I'll join the fad.
No, actually, I thought it would be nice to blog about the upcoming changes in our lives. I'm not one to journal, but I don't want to forget some of the things that we will be experiencing over the next couple of years. So, won't you join on us our journey of parenthood and becoming ex-pats.... at...... the...... SAME......... TIME.

I'll start out by saying that I, by nature, stress easily. This probably explains why I found my first gray hair at eighteen. So, I can't say that our decision to move to London has been an easy one for me. It sounded great (and easy) at first, but the more I stewed on it, the more stressed I got (and still get). That leaves poor Scott to do all the thinking and decision making.
When it comes to major stress-factors, I tend to take the Scarlet O'Hara approach, "I can't think about this today, or I'll go crazy. I'll just have to think about it tomorrow. After all tomorrow is another day." Except for me... when the next day arrives, I still can't think about it. I love my husband and I'm so glad he has a steady head on his shoulders. Maybe that's why we sync so well.

Just in brief, I'll answer a few questions that we are asked every time we see friends or family.

1. Sometime around the end of April
2. No, we don't have a place yet. We get two months of corporate housing and that gives us time to find a place to rent.
3. Yes our dogs are going with us.
4. No, our kiddo won't have dual-citizenship.
5. Tortilla chips and real salsa - not jarred.
6. The car is staying here in storage. I'm not driving in London.
7. No, couldn't bring ourselves to sell the house, so we are going to rent it.
8. 1-2 years.
9. No, storing pretty much everything, except for baby items.
10. My husband's job (I guess this should be answer 1, as it's usually the first question).

You can probably figure out the questions.

The other big news in our lives is that we are having a baby. Baby Boy Cooper will be joining us August 4th... or whenever he decides to make an appearance. This is not a lifelong desire for us, I'll admit it. For most of our married lives we thought kids were not for us. But, when we started thinking about it, Scott's co-worker said something that kind of hit home, "It's a life experience I don't want to miss out on." He's right. So, here we are. At the most inconvenient time in our lives. So, little Baby Cooper, if you read this one day... just know that we really do want you, I just wish your big arrival was a few months later. Oh, and know that your old mother is a pro at poor planning. So, it's not entirely your fault. :bighug: <-that makes it funny and implies that I made a joke. Oh, and thanks Chad for those life-changing words. If this was something you found in a fortune cookie, please... never tell me.

I won't bore you with the details of day to day stuff. I'll just let you know that I quit my job a few weeks ago. So, the stress level rising might have something to do with not keeping my mind busy. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not just sitting here, although Scott would probably beg to differ. But, this move, it's always at the front of my mind. Plus, with us leasing our house, I've had to endure strangers walking through looking at OUR HOME. And then coming to the realization that ONE OF THEM will be living here.
LUCKILY, I think we've found someone and they sound great. I'm feeling confident... I'm feeling confident... really I'm trying to feel confident!

Where are the cookies??

15 comments:

  1. Ack! I ALREADY SPOT A TYPO. This is why I didn't want to do this. Don't go over my blogs with a fine toothed grammar comb. I write like I talk... but, in my head there's no Texas accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought 3 packs of cookies at whole foods, won't you come over?!? Bring the milk!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can the milk be expired?? Because that's all I have. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you started a blog Angela! You definitely have a lot going on to share. I can't imagine your stress at the moment, because I am the type of person that likes to have everything in order. But just think about all the fun you are going to have in a new great city/country and I agree kids are a life experience, in my opinion, that is for sure worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're writing it down! This adventure is too big to keep in your head, and baby cooper will read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to keep up with all your adventures and so glad you are blogging. Will keep up with your every post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. angela - i'm a friend of your mom....and i have had the ex-pat experience although i was not pregnant at the time. i just dragged along three reluctant daughters, aged 9, 12, and 14! try telling a 14 year old that instead of going to high school with all her friends, she is moving to stockholm sweden for 1-3 years! i won't bore you with the details, but will say it was the most wonderful experience for our family (especially that reluctant 14 yr old). we all walked away with warm feelings and a whole new outlook on life here in the USA. just remember there is light at the end of the tunnel! the first few months will be difficult until you get settled (add to that those raging pregnancy/delivery hormones). then you'll settle in nicely and start to enjoy it - i can assure you - you WILL enjoy it. time will fly by and before you know it, you'll be back home. i have looked back on our experience many times in my life and have always been thankful for the opportunity that was presented to us. make the most of it. there will also be many others in your position (check out the nearest American Women's or International Women's Clubs....they provide the necessary friendship and a place to "dish" about all the things you "hate" about the country you're in! they will also have all the inside info on where to go, what to do, etc. good luck - i will enjoy reading your blog! Chris Pajonas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, This is Susie. I'm soooooo excited about the baby. And now that I know it's a boy I can start shopping! I don't plan to worry about you, because you are awesome, and you and Scott and Baby Cooper are going to have a wonderful experience! And I know you will be a wonderful Mom, because I have 4 beautiful daughters that you helped me raise. I think I will worry a little about your Mom because I know she will miss you, but don't worry, we'll keep her buys until she sees you this summer. Jeff and I are probably going to be in England the end of August or beginning of September. So once you get settled, let me know where you guys are, and maybe I can come hold the baby.:) Have fun, relax, and enjoy this new experience. Love,

    Susie

    PS New email - susiehhaas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Chris! Those are encouraging words. If you're keeping up , you'll read that we had a rough start. But, it's already getting better.

    Susie!! You know our door is always open to you and Jeff! As many times as you've put us up. I can't say we'll have as much room for you as you did us, though. ;) We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, I'm Elizabeth a friend of your mum. I also lived the Expat life and really cherish every memory. I read Chris' comment and that's exactly what I wanted to tell you. You will love this experience but what really helps is the American Women's Group. I'm sure you'll find other pregnant women there who can advise you about the best doctors and share their experiences.
    By the way, I heard they meet every Thursday in a pub in Sloan Square called The Antelope. Cheers! Im really enjoying your blog!
    Elizabeth Sackrule

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angela. I am a friend of Elizabeth's and am moving to London soon. She gave me your blog info. I have been an expat before - I met Elizabeth in Korea 21 years ago and we are still friends. We both had young children then and we all loved our experience as I'm sure you will, too. You will meet friends for life!
    I'm excited about a new experience and will look forward to meeting you. I spent a month there recently looking at areas in which to live but since we are not moving until August (because of our little dog and his quarantine), I wasn't able to commit to anything yet. I'll be anxious to see the update on where you end up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela, This is Susie. Ashley will be in London tomorrow (Sunday night) and then again the night of the 24th. I gave her your blog information, but here's her number just in case - Ashley Hughey - 650-740-0513. Sorry for the short notice, but I'm not used to you being there. Love,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone! Charene, please feel free to contact me by email or on facebook. I'm Angela Ross on facebook.
    Elizabeth, I'll check into that pub, thanks... today is one of those days where I'm a little lonely.
    Susie!! This thing does not email me when I have a reply on the blog. So, I missed Ashley her first time around. So, I'll try to catch her on the 24th. Do you have my email??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angela, what is your e-mail address? I am not on facebook (I know - old-fashioned!) but I'd like to contact you. My e-mail is charene1@comcast.net. Did you finalize a place to live? I think I'm coming the week of June 14th to figure out our housing - I have a relocation agent set up to help me out. Ditto on the comments about joining the AWC - or some similar type group. I found these groups to be lifesavers during my expat days and plan to join the one in London once we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should update this and say that Scott and I have enjoyed our time with Charene and Rex... even though everyone here is super nice, it's always great to hang out with people that know what you're going through.
    Can't wait for your move to London and can't wait to meet Ozzie!

    ReplyDelete