Monday, November 8, 2010

Three Months Gone
















I know that this blog is supposed to be about our move here, my experiences and thoughts, but I had to take time to talk about our boy. He is, after all, part of the experience.

I can honestly say that this has been the fastest three months of my life. I can't believe that it was three months ago that I held William for the first time.
Waiting for a baby seems like an eternity. You have so many questions. What will you be? What will you look like? What will you be like? What will I be like?
When the moment arrives, you're so consumed with shock. It's so hard to take it in, make the memories that you had envisioned. You think you'll have tomorrow, but when they are this small, everyday is huge change. In a matter of days, babies learn something new. One day their only communication is crying. A few days later, they can carry on a 20-minute cooing session. Amazing.

Motherhood is everything I expected it to be and nothing like I expected it to be. You think you know how much joy a smile can bring, but when you really experience it, it's way more joy than you anticipated.

William is beginning to enjoy a lot of activities. He loves his activity gym and several different toys. He has a crib toy that will keep attention for a good half hour. He's just amazed by it. He's starting to reach for things. Before it was kind of luck that he might grab a toy, but now I think he's really going for it. He's really doing well at holding his head up and sits in his bumbo while I am in the kitchen. We bought a door bouncer for him and though he's not really bouncing yet, he enjoys slobbering on the fabric bodysuit. He's also "talking" a lot. It's great! Scott and I always exchange glances and smiles when he does it. I hope we always find these things so sweet and adorable.
And you parents with two-year olds... don't tell me any different.

William and I attend a playgroup once a week. I've mentioned my NCT group before. We six couples attended a prenatal class together. We were all due about the same time and did deliver all within two weeks of each other. Well, with the exception of Gemma. She delivered on the day of our second prenatal class!
I enjoy the weekly gathering with mums and babies. It's nice to compare notes and have support. We're all first-timers and I'm not sure about the other ladies, but I know I can use all the advice I can get. Not to mention adult company. William has reached the age that I think he enjoys being around other babies. They all seem to be very interested in looking at each other.

My mother was here for almost three weeks. Mark came for the first week, and she remained the last two. I'm always glad to see her and have her help. She's an awesome grandmother. She came with a suitcase full of clothes and goodies for William. Already spoiling him rotten. But, I can't say that I would have it any other way. During their trip here, we went to Windsor, again. And we also drove to Brighton. I think it's the Coney Island of England, but was later told that the shopping in Brighton is excellent. So, I plan on going back.

Oh... and a tip. If you ever think you will visit any castle more than once, read the back of your ticket. Most will stamp it allowing for free entries up to a year.

Well, as we enter the William's three month birthday, I can't wait to see what it hold in store. I'm sure you'll be reading about it - you know, if I can stay on top of blogging. Material is running low!

Pics above are William's 3-month photos at Esher Common and the NCT group that we attend each week. Starting counter-clockwise with William, we have Freddie, Huw, Sophie, Ben and Kiana.






4 comments:

  1. Happy 3 months William! You are right it is crazy how fast they change! Glad you have some ladies to hang with and compare notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children are wonderful and you'll have many many more years of awe and wonder at the things they do and say...Jordan is 15 and Joaquin and I still share those unspoken glances when we "communicate" our appreciation for the gift and blessing of our children...I would venture to say that it continues for the rest of forever. I'm so happy for you and Scott and the sweet little baby boy! Love, April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,

    What a beautiful little boy you have! Everyone says they grow up so fast and it’s true! Mine became adults in the blink of an eye - and how did I become an OAP! If there’s one thing that separates the generations right now it’s mastering the computer. I’ve written a comment 4 times but have lost every one of them. What wonders will there be when William is an adult?

    Since this will be your first Christmas in England, may I make a suggestion for something that will remind you of it wherever your Christmases may be spent in the future. Every Christmas Eve there is a Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols at King’s College Chapel in Cambridge. People queue up for hours to get a seat. The BBC broadcasts it around the world. (3 p.m. BBC Radio 4 or BBC World Service outside the UK.) It always begins the same way, with a lone choirboy, beginning the carol, “Once in Royal David’s City.” The choirmaster only picks which chorister it will be just moments before the service begins. That’s so the one who is chosen doesn’t have time to become nervous. When you hear that crystal clear voice singing that old familiar carol it will give you goose bumps and that, for me, means Christmas! I hope you’ll pause if only for a few minutes and let the beauty of it fill you with the joy of Christmas.

    Best Wishes,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks for the suggestion, Susan. Unfortunately we will be in the States for the holiday. But, I will set the DVR to record it and watch it at my mother's house. It sounds beautiful - and I do love those goose bump moments.
    We did get to experience the lighting of the tree in Cobham. It was a nice festival with a few rides, roasted chestnuts and mulled wine. Also a parade and some special guests that lit the tree. We were expecting the guests to be some of the Chelsea team (because the training facility is here), but it was Robert Dyas (himself) and Potsy (from Happy Days). What a weird choice of "special guests." Potsy??? Really???? Ha!!
    Also to get myself in the spirit, I've been to a few Christmas Fairs and we are going to London on Saturday to see the lights. And since it's dark by 4:00PM, it means we won't have to keep William out too late.
    In fact, I think I'm going to blog about Christmas in the UK. Thanks for the idea! I was running out of things to talk about. ;)

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. We will be seeing Jay, Jen & K. Not sure if S will be there during our time there, but I hope so. They are both growing so fast! And K's SECOND birthday. That's just impossible. She was born just yesterday!

    ReplyDelete