Monday, November 8, 2010

Hi Jay's Mum!

Our good friends Jay and Jen introduced my blog to Jay's mum. Jay's parents live in England and Jay's mother is English. She replied to my last blog about our house and also gives me advice on places to shop and washing detergents (several posts back, or possibly an email forwarded by Jay). So, I started to answer her reply and found it to be extremely long. So, I deleted it and decided to make it my most recent post. It contained some bits of history that I thought might interest some. Maybe. You know... if anyone reads this thing. ;)

Here's Jay's mum's reply:
I'm Jay's mum. We live in Norfolk, about 80 miles or so north-east from London. It's considered rural but, like everywhere, it's getting crowded. Your house is adorable; looks like it was renovated to a very high standard. Obviously, your bathroom was originally a bedroom; you don't get one that size in a newer house. And what a nice outlook, I assume that's a common across the street.
I thought I'd comment on a couple of things you talked about missing. We spent 11 years in Germany, so I can empathise with things being different to what you're used to. Large Tesco stores are usually open 24 hours and they sell just about everything! Sunday opening hours for stores are set by law - 6 hours only. Up until 20 years or so ago, nothing was allowed to be open and there was a big campaign called "Keep Sunday Special" that fought to keep it that way. (A few places such as those in tourist locations were exempt but they could be prosecuted if they sold regular groceries so if you ran out of butter or sugar on a Sunday, you were out of luck until Monday - but you could buy an ice cream!) I recently read that commercial interests are trying to get the 6 hours Sunday trading extended to the same as the other days of the week.
I'm surprised you get to keep your baby's medical records; most people never see theirs, let alone take them home!
I've never seen a separate kitchen sink sprayer over here, but depending upon the type of tap you have, you may be able to fit an attachment that swivels and lets you choose between a straight flow of water or a spray. I got mine from a mail order place called Lakeland - they have shops too. Their catalogue is full of neat gadgets and equipment.
The EU won't allow the importation of USDA beef because of the use of hormones and antibiotics, etc. British beef, because of the mad cow episode a few years ago, is now considered the safest in the world. (Saying that, I have noticed some "strange" behavior in my husband who regularly eats beef, but that could be due to advancing age!)
I hope you enjoy the experience of living here and the few differences that are left. I often feel that it would be less "Americanized" if the language were not the same but, good or bad, the British character retains its originality.
Susan Weidenbach




Hi Jay's Mum Susan! I've been wanting to travel to your side of the country. It looks so lovely on all the shows we watch (Countryfile, Hairy Bikers, etc). I love road trips and we'll have to do one to your side soon. If so, we'll have to meet the people that brought us our good friend, Jay. ;)
Our place is newly renovated and unlike other places we looked at, I would say it was definitely done to a higher standard. One day, shortly after our move, our landlord had a painter come over to touch up some of the exterior windows. He was very meticulous about his craft and did an excellent job. We are lucky to have landlords that seem to appreciate quality even on a rental. Also, they live close by so we always feel comfortable calling them if we have stupid questions about how to operate something that is foreign to us. At first our landlord had a hard time believing that we don't have radiators in Texas. It took Scott, me and my mother to convince him otherwise. Ha!! That's okay... I have a feeling we would have to explain A/C to him if he were ever to move to the southern part of the US.
One of the girls in my NCT course told me (and you probably know but I'm going to fill in for anyone else that might read) that what we live in is what was called a "two up, two down." So it was two bedrooms upstairs (not a bath) and two rooms downstairs (living room and kitchen). Over the years, a kitchen and bath were added downstairs and a bathroom upstairs. There is a new book out about the history of the Tilt. This is the area of Cobham we live in. We met some older gentlemen at our farmers market that are raising money to preserve areas of Cobham and told us quite a bit about it. Apparently the Tilt was used as hunting grounds by King Henry VIII. I find it to be fascinating that I am living so close to history. Hampton Court (his home) isn't that far way by car, but can't imagine that it was a day trip for him by horse. Maybe he camped right where our house stands! Where we live is I guess a Common. It's not called that, but there are other commons around. If memory serves, someone called it a conservation area. Not sure the laws, but I'm guessing that prevents any construction and might limit what can be done to an existing structure.
There is a Tesco that is somewhat close. It's actually in Byfleet... well, Weybridge... actually Brooklands. Ha! I say this because it's kind of in the middle of these areas. But, about 15-minutes from us (if no traffic). It's connected to a large M&S which also has a large grocery and stays open until 10PM (surprisingly).
Sunday here reminds me of Sunday in Texas. Stores were not open on Sunday until the mid-80's. They call it the "Blue Law." Now stores are open on Sunday (not sure if their hours are limited), but they are not allowed to sell beer and wine until noon. No hard liquor sales on Sunday at all. Also, car dealerships are required by law to be closed one day a week. Most choose Sunday, but some will close on Saturday to be open on Sunday.

As far as the baby's records. Maybe the clinic keeps track of the records, too? What I was given is a red book. I take this to each appointment and they record his weight, shots, etc. for me. It also contains notes from the midwife and healthcare visitor. I think this book also goes with us if he were to be registered for school during our time here. I guess it's proof of immunizations and age. I also wonder if it's a county thing? All of the girls in my NCT group gave birth at another hospital, but have a red book, too. Either way, I hate having that kind of responsibility. Ha!! Most days I'm lucky if I can locate my keys.

I'm going to check your suggestion for a sprayer. I looked at our local Robert Dyas, but it's fairly small and has a limited selection. Oh, and speaking of mail order... I'll take this time to give mad props to the Royal Mail. On more than a handful of occasions have I ordered something online and received it the very next day! Scott does remind me that usually most things have a shorter distance to travel. But, still. It's great! I also find it refreshing that some companies still use their own delivery service versus going through the post or UPS/Fedex. I wish that US companies would go back to that.

I find I'm not eating much beef, I'm sure not a terrible thing. I get a veggie box delivered every week and try to make the most of eating healthy. Unfortunately, I'm in love with bangers. I don't know why brats are more known sausage. English bangers are by far the winner. And though I don't cook seafood at home, I enjoy the fresh selections at every restaurant. The fact that it's cheaper than most main courses is a nice change, too. Especially since I love shrimp. Err... prawns.
However, Cobham did just get a new restaurant that serves USDA beef. And I know of one steakhouse in London that serves it. The steakhouse in London is amazing, but kind of a special occasion place - or let the company pick up the tab kind of place. ;) But. you're right, not typically found. That said, I don't mind eating bangers more than one or two nights a week. In fact, it's on the menu tonight. ;)

And you are absolutely right about the few differences. Like the US, I'm sure that the High Street wasn't always the same ten stores. I blame the US for things like this. And like I said, if it were all the same, then I might as well have stayed at home. However, I do occasionally find a locally owned store or restaurant and it's always a real treat. In fact, I buy all my cards at an adorable locally-owned store here.

Thanks for reading my blog! I really am enjoying my time here. Finding a town that suits you helps no matter what country you live in. I do hope that I can meet you before we leave!



Regards,

Angela




1 comment: