Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Sun is Shining

...and in more ways than one!
Yes, the weather has been sunny and warm (well, with the exception of expected rain today). Yesterday was quite muggy and felt a little like home, except about 20 degrees cooler. I was definitely surprised to find a tan line on my feet at the end of the day. I didn't think that was possible around here, especially since every other ad on tv is for spray on tanner.

Two other reasons the sun is shining on us is.... drumroll, please....

YES! We found a place to live!! What a huge relief. It was between an attached house in Cobham, or a below ground floor flat in Chiswick. The Chiswick flat was great, except for the kitchen. I think a 3-year old designed the layout. Also, the garden was not terribly large, and with it being below ground level, we didn't think we would have much air flow during the summer months. I know I've mentioned this before, but you have to think about noises and airflow when windows are open because on warm days, windows are all you've got. Well, that and a fan.
I've mentioned Cobham before, but I'll remind you why it's always a debate... it's in the country. Not a bad thing, we like the country... but, it is about a 45-minute commute for Scott. However, we've been told that even areas like Chiswick can be the same amount of time if the tube lines are down (which is often with some lines). To get to Cobham, Scott will take the overland train. Faster speeds and fewer stops means about 15-minutes longer than a normal commute to Chiswick. We hope. However, Scott has the ability to work from home a few days a week. Good for him, good for me, good for bonding time with junior.
The house is great! The only downfall is that it is a two-bedroom place. So, for all you visitors, we will either have a sleeper sofa for you or an awesome, large, tall air mattress. I've heard they've made great advances with the air mattresses, so I may go that route. The plus (and I would really be lying if I said these things did not factor in on my decision) is that there is a washer AND a separate dryer!!!!! HOLY COW!! I stopped dead in my tracks the moment I noticed that. I think everyone knew that this place was it. Also, we will have a nice large side-by-side American refrigerator, another rarity!!! Not that we keep a lot of food in the house, but we do like COLD beverages and this way we won't have to keep restocking the fridge! Unlike the dorm room fridges in the other places. Other features were a large garden and a large green area in front of the house. Also, a large green field across the street, and friendly people that greet you as they ride by on their bicycles. It's about a 15-minute walk to the high street and about the same to the train station. We will have a really easy drive to Heathrow to pick up any guests that fly in. And of course, we're already shopping for a car. The high street in Cobham has a lot of the same shops that you find in any other area of London. Also in Cobham is an American school, so I've heard the American population is pretty high. Cobham is home to Scott's favorite football club's training facility, Chelsea. I've heard several of the players and wags live there (not that I care, but some of you might think that's cool). Also, Cobham is very close to the large estate homes where John Lennon, Ringo Starr and other rock legends lived in the 60s and 70s. Several other "villages" of about the same size, some larger, are all within a 5-minute drive of Cobham. Have I sold you on it, yet??
I know we are farther out than we planned, and guests may not be as excited about that, but I think they will enjoy winding down in Cobham at the end of a busy day in town.

The other good news?? Well, we finally have an appointment with a midwife. Can you believe it?? About three weeks ago, I did an online self-referral to another hospital in London. They scheduled me in for the 9th of June. I have mixed feelings. Though I'm glad and it is at the hospital I wanted, I know I will have to start the process over, again. I think this hospital is a stretch to get to when we move. However, I've been told that hospitals outside of town are much more accommodating because they aren't as crowded. In fact, Epsom (the hospital I would probably go to when we move) has a walk-in antenatal clinic. Yay!! I hope to get a scan soon (sonogram). We haven't seen the little one for quite some time, now. But, he reminds me throughout the day that his arrival is getting close. He has kicking and hiccuping sessions multiple times. Most big movements seem to be around midnight. It's kind of funny to see your stomach make sudden jolts all on it's own. I know very soon those movements will be gone because it's getting close to the time where he will be too big to move around much. Not looking forward to the foot in the ribcage stage.

Our moving date is at the end of June. I hope that the next few weeks fly by faster than any other. In the meantime, I'm making my list of furniture items and doing some online shopping. I think we'll have to plan a trip to Ikea... but, perhaps during the week. You'll know what I mean if you've ever been to Ikea on a weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Cobham sounds great! All the green surroundings would've sold me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the washer and dryer stopped you dead in your tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... you have to admit. It's a VERY unusual site here. It's like spotting Sasquatch.

    ReplyDelete