Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another Snag... (and I don't mean the one on my sweater)

I should have known that things were moving along too smoothly. I was beginning to accept life here and that things were finally working to our favor.
Yesterday started out great. Although it started out waiting over 2 hours in at the antenatal clinic at St. Mary's hospital, we did get to see a doctor and got a scan (sonogram). Oh, and that was with an appointment. But, everything is normal and on schedule. Baby's weight has me a little concerned that we might be ahead of schedule. Shoot.
After a quick bite at a Lebanese sidewalk cafe, we headed out to Ikea to do some shopping for the new house. In fact, we got most of the furniture ordered with the exception of the dining room - which has to be picked up in store (well, purchased in-store, but can be locally delivered). So, after a long day of decision making, we headed back to the hotel to put our feet up. Shopping is definitely hard work, and if you've never been to Ikea, just compare it to walking about 10-miles through a winding maze, with no quick way to really get to what you need.
If you'll remember, our move date is June 28th, about a week and a couple days from now. However, yesterday evening, Scott received an email from the relocation company that the current tenant will not be able to leave the premises as early as promised. It could now be as late as July 15th. It appears that the property she is buying has hit a snag. And once again, I'm appalled at how the system works here.
To be fair, she did originally say the date in July, but when we asked if the property would be available earlier, we were told a quick "yes, June 28th." The entire reason we didn't go with a property in Chiswick that, to be honest, we could probably be in by now. Although promised a date, it seems that she still has the right to remain in the property. Leaving us in the hotel another two plus weeks.
Let me explain why this is so disheartening. One... my mother arrives the day before we can now move into our new place. Two... we just ordered a couple thousand pounds (£ not lbs, well... it could be lbs) of furniture to be delivered a day or two after our promised date. Three... and the biggest, we now only have a week, maybe two, to get things moved and assembled before I give birth. Oh, and this could slow down me getting in with the hospital in that area, so... I may just be "popping in" to give birth, without having seen the facility or met a midwife or doctor there. Hopefully I can get in, because if I just pop in, and they are busy, I think I'm shuffled off to another place. I might have that wrong, but I've read of such nightmares.

There is a chance that we can take possession before this date, but I've really lost all hope that it will happen. Let's just say that I'm definitely not holding my breath.
I feel so bad having my mother show up, only to assemble furniture and to help set up a house. She just moved herself. I feel terrible that I will not be as able to assist in moving things around because I'm sure by that point I won't want to leave the sofa. I really hope that "MINI" decides to stay put until his delivery date. Because if he doesn't, he will only have one outfit, one blanket and the pram from his stroller to sleep in. Unfortunately, the rest of his items are in our ground shipment, which arrives to our new place when we do.

So, what have I learned so far??

Don't move to England when you are unable or don't have time to deal with snags. Move there before you get pregnant, or have children, don't bring or acquire any pets, bring a good sense of humor (which I think I've left in the US) and bring Mylanta. You'll need it.


2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you Ang! I remember those stressful feelings of pregnancy, and I wasn't moving or in a foreign country. It sounds as though your sense of humor is quite healthy. Sometimes you just have to laugh at all that crazy stuff. <3 Sharrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharrell... there are days where I can laugh. Days where I have to cry... but, I'm sure YEARS FROM NOW when looking back, I'll just remember the experience and hopefully all positive.

    ReplyDelete