Saturday, May 8, 2010

Just Shy of a Week

Six days later and I am doing much, much better. We settled into our new place a few days ago and I've been able to breathe a little easier. We are staying in an apartment that is in a hotel high rise. It's small, but the amenities are nice, but still very hotel-like. The location is on the Albert Embankment, on the south side of the Thames. We can throw a stone across the river and hit Parliament and Big Ben. There's not much in the area, but we are a block from a great pub and a few more blocks to a row of restaurants that are built into the bridge under a train. Railway arches, I think they are called. Also in one of these arches is a large Vespa dealership. I'm sure Scott wants to walk up there during business hours to take a peek.

In the few days we've been here, I haven't been doing too much. The first full day, I rode the bus over to Trafalgar Square to meet Scott for lunch. Quick ride, about fifteen-minutes. After lunch, I walked with him to his office. It's in a really neat area called Seven Dials in Covent Garden. Very small streets, lots of shops... clothes a lot younger than I would wear, but love to look at. Some neat pubs and such. Saw his office, bought a couple pairs of shoes (hopefully they turn out to be comfortable ones) and then took the bus back "home." Traffic in Trafalgar Square was horrible. Not sure if it's prime tourist season or if it had something to do with Election Day... or maybe a combination. But, the ride back took a good half hour or more.

The next day, I stayed home to wait on the dogs arrival. We weren't sure what time they would arrive, but we didn't want to miss the delivery service. They showed up about lunchtime, a few hours early than we anticipated. All was good, they seemed happy to see us. Happier to go to the park. Extremely content to just curl up and go to sleep. Which, by the way... they still are. Other than the occasional potty break outside, they've been sound asleep. More sound than usual. Guess dogs suffer jet lag, too. We have also found them sleeping together a few times. Nothing they ever did before. I guess they now know the other one is comfort for them. It was a little snug in that bed last night. All four of us piled into a queen... not the king we are used to.

Today is Saturday. We had planned to go to Kew Gardens to see a photography exhibit, but the weather was a little damp. Since the exhibit is here for a few months, I told Scott we would go on a nice day. I can't go to Kew without my camera, and didn't want to chance taking it in the rain. So, instead, we ventured over to Oxford Street and went to John Lewis. I would compare it to maybe Macy's in NYC. Had a nice little lunch there, did a touch of shopping and then walked down to Selfridges. By this time, my baby aches were kicking in and I didn't really have much in me to walk around, but I can't wait to go back. Their home department was right up my alley. VERY COOL stuff. I'm sure out of my price range, but definitely worth going back and stealing some ideas.

I'm finding that I can only walk around and be out about three hours before I can't take it anymore. The doctor kept telling me that my fibroids would probably cause me some pain during my pregnancy, and I'm finally feeling it. So, my goal next week is to figure out how to get in with a midwife or doctor or whatever I'll be seeing. Looking forward to something stronger than tylenol.

I also want to make note of things I prefer here versus home. AND things I so desperately want to change for London/UK. First I'll start with some of the things that are great. Prepared food here is awesome. On a few nights we've been too tired to cook, so we've grabbed a few different prepared items. All delicious, all fresh. Everyone is very friendly, especially here in our hotel. I think we are becoming the favorites... although, I think the dogs have a lot to do with that. Fashion is fun, right now - especially for the young. I'm seeing things that I like and wish I were young and thin enough to wear.
Things I so desperately want to change. Quality and pride in construction. Everything that we've been to that has been remodeled or updated is totally half-ass. After doing a lot of remodeling on our own house, I can look at these things and tell that this isn't an expensive thing to do (or FINISH), I guess the same standards are just not there. Oh, and I HATE the washing machines here. If you aren't familiar, it's one unit. It washes, then it dries. The one in our apartment holds about five items and takes about two-hours just to wash. Then another two to dry. After all that time you would think the clothes would be the cleanest ever. No. My whites now seem to be gray, errr grey. I'm hoping the model in our next place will be a little better. I'm sure bleach exists in the UK, but I haven't found any, yet.
Okay, I think that's all for today. We start looking for permanent housing at the end of the week. So far on the list are West Kensington, Clapham, Maida Vale. If you have suggestions, shout them out!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you could get Madges castle..I saw on a blog somewherenshe's selling.

    Miss you guys..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible to get larger washers (and separate dryers). My mum has a set, so they are out there (of course she also has a full laundry room to put them in - probably not something you will have in a London flat).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I just take my laundry over to your mother's house, Jay. :P Drive included, the whole process might be faster. lol! Oh, and don't forget to call your mother tomorrow! You know, since you missed the UK Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete